Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the Staffnet siteSearch StaffNet
Search type

Support for your students

A student's supervisor should be their first port of call if they have any concerns. If they are unable to do this, they should contact their advisor or postgraduate tutor.

For more serious issues or if a student wishes to raise a confidential matter, they should contact the Head of Postgraduate Research Services or the Chair of the Research Degrees Committee who can provide advice, or direct them to the most appropriate person for help or support.

Peer mentoring scheme

The Faculty has a peer mentoring scheme for research students.

The scheme puts a group of first year research students in contact with a more experienced mentor, typically a second or third year PhD student. The mentor acts as someone to turn to for help and advice on a range of (mostly practical) issues, such as where to find things, time management, what to expect from the assessment procedures at the end of the first year, etc.

Students have found that peer mentoring can help them integrate quickly and effectively into their department. It brings them into an instant network of peers from which professional and social contacts can arise and it encourages cross-year and cross-discipline mixing.

The scheme can be of particular value to overseas students who may have much to learn about the way a British University operates.

International wellbeing support service

A new International Wellbeing Support Service is now being offered at the International Society on Oxford Road for International Students.

Further information is available on the International Society website.

Counselling service

The University counselling service is available to all staff and students

Living Cost Support Fund 

Help is available to UK/Home students who are experiencing financial hardships if they:

  • are from a low income family
  • have children/dependants- particularly lone parents
  • have a disability
  • are experiencing financial hardship due to unexpected or difficult personal circumstances

Further information can be found on the Living Cost Support Fund (formerly called the Manchester Hardship Fund).

Please note that the fund cannot be awarded for the purpose of paying tuition fees.