Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the Staffnet siteSearch StaffNet
Search type

Study Away

FBMH policy for study away from the University

It is important that the Faculty is informed whenever a PGR is to undertake fieldwork or spend part of their training away from the University. Study away from the University does not include PGRs whose standard research activity is undertaken at NHS Trust sites or other areas where the Faculty has an established research group.

We have a duty of care to our PGRs throughout the period of registration and it is the University’s responsibility to safeguard, as far as possible, the safety of its students while studying away from the University. This can only be done through appropriate risk assessments to consider the nature and method of the research to be undertaken.  In addition, the University must maintain an accurate record of any periods spent away from the University for insurance and legal purposes.
The University arrangements enable a risk-based approach to the management of study away activities. We acknowledge that many of our PGRs return to their home countries to pursue data collection and therefore have an understanding of any specific cultural issues relating to their research, and also the general risks that may apply in these countries. It is the supervisor’s responsibility to consider whether the research activity to be undertaken requires a risk assessment.

The Faculty has a special permission form for PGRs to request a period of study away from the University; e.g. to conduct primary, first hand data collection or a laboratory visit to learn new techniques / methods. This form should be used when the PGR will be away from the University for more than two weeks.

To be in a position to request a period of study away from the University, PGRs and supervisors must have obtained or completed the following:

For fieldwork activities, PGRs must also follow the University health and safety requirements and complete the necessary health assessment:  

  • Travel Health Assessment (for PGRs intending to undertake a Work Placement / Elective / Field Trip / Study Abroad
  • Travel Health Needs Risk Assessment - For more in depth assessment face to face when travelling outside Europe)Agreed arrangements for contact and supervision during the period of study abroad, including management of any formal eProg milestones that may fall during the period.
  • Agreed work plan between the student, UoM supervisors and any in-country supervisor

Further information

Clinical Trials 

Please note that there are additional considerations when undertaking clinical trials outside the UK. Please review the information in the clinical trials leaflet and consult with the Insurance Office regarding appropriate cover

Split site arrangements

Where students are undertaking a formal split-site programme a further study away from the University form is not required. However, the same expectations are in place for risk assessment, health needs assessment and contact arrangements and details.