Name: Governance Office
Place in structure:
Address: Room 1.130
John Owens Building
University of Manchester
Building 48 on campus map (opens in a new window)
Phone: 0161 275 2086
The Governance Office, which forms part of the Compliance and Risk Office, provides a support service for the following functions:
1. Detailed support to the Registrar, Secretary and Chief Operating Officer (in his capacity as Clerk to the University's governing body) for the work of the Board of Governors.
This is provided by the Deputy Secretary, who also:
- provides advice on all matters associated with the constitution and the arrangements for University governance;
- seeks to promote the attainment and maintenance of high and consistent professional standards for committee servicing in the University.
2. Advice on seeking ethical approval for research projects.
This is provided by the Assistant Secretary, who also services the University's Committee on the Ethics of Research on Human Beings.
3. Arrangements in respect of the University's compliance with the Freedom of Information and Data Protection Acts and with the Environmental Information Regulations, as well as for leading the development of an institutional Records Management and Archiving Policy.
These are co-ordinated by the Records Management Office, which also conducts training and awareness sessions across the University, and provides advice on all related matters, in the areas of FOI, DP and EI legislation and of records management.