Manchester Gold Staff is the successful and unique career mentoring programme managed by Staff Learning and Development at The University of Manchester.
The programme has the full support of the senior management.
What is Manchester Gold Staff?
The scheme aims to develop staff across the University by linking them to the support of a more experienced colleague. This colleague will act as their career mentor over a nine-month period.
Who is Manchester Gold Staff for?
The scheme is for any staff member working at the University who would like help with their career development. Whether you are a member of Professional Services or an Academic, Manchester Gold staff could work for you.
Previous participants on the scheme have signed up for some of the following reasons, to:
- Develop managerial or supervisory skills.
- Assist with specific goals, such as achieving academic promotion.
- Help define future career goals more clearly.
- Discuss ways of balancing research and teaching.
- Learn more about the way the University functions, and possible career routes available.
- Explore ways of increasing grant success.
- Get a different perspective on a specific work-related problem.
- Consider how to increase the number of research papers you write and get accepted.
- Address work / life balance.
- Expand networks.
- Develop specific skills.
- Anything else related to career development!
How does Manchester Gold Staff work?
If matched, mentees will be mentored by another member of staff between March and December. Mentors and mentees normally meet four to five times over this nine-month period, and both will have the opportunity to attend supporting workshops.
The programme involves a time commitment of approximately 15-20 hours.