Leadership in Education Awards Programme (LEAP)
The Leadership in Education Awards Programme (LEAP) supports you in documenting and evidencing your teaching excellence, and is an opportunity for you to receive a formal, national qualification for your teaching.
The programme is accredited by the Higher Education Academy (HEA) and can award Associate, Fellowship, Senior and Principal HEA Fellowships.
If you join LEAP you'll be assigned a mentor and a peer support group and will also have access to a range of workshops, though you won't be required to attend them all.
From initial interest to final assessment, here's what you can expect with LEAP:
1. Find out more before you apply
2. Apply for a place on LEAP
3. Book and attend workshops (if application is successful) - by email
4. Allocation of peer support groups and mentors - by email
5. Book and attend drop-in sessions - by email
6. Submit application for HEA Fellowship through LEAP
7. Assessment of application - by email
LEAP is divided into four pathways to provide you with the most effective support for the level of fellowship for which you are applying:
LEAP to Associate Fellow Pathway (AFHEA)
- for those new to teaching, support staff or those who support teaching and learning as a relatively minor of their role.
LEAP to Fellow Pathway (FHEA)
- for those with a more substantive teaching and learning support role.
LEAP to Senior Fellow Pathway (SFHEA)
- for those with a significant teaching leadership role and who have had an influence on professional practice beyond their own teaching.
LEAP to Principal Fellow Pathway (PFHEA)
- for those who able to demonstrate impact at a strategic level (institutional, national or international context) and a wider commitment to academic practice and leadership in teaching and learning.
Information sessions are run from time to time and can help you determine which LEAP pathway is right for you.
- To book a place on the next session, please visit the training catalogue.
Am I eligible for the LEAP?
LEAP is open to all students and staff. To be eligible for a place on the LEAP, you must have an active University of Manchester email account at the time you receive your award. This will be approximately 12 weeks after you submit your LEAP application.
Do I have to pay for the LEAP?
No. LEAP is free to eligible students and staff.
Do I have to attend all of the LEAP workshops?
Whilst the workshops are not compulsory, we recommend that you attend if possible. The workshops are bespoke to each level of HEA fellowship and will allow you to meet your peer support groups.
For more information, please see the LEAP FAQs.