NIHR announces latest Senior Investigator appointments
09 Mar 2018
Six members of the Faculty have been appointed as National Institute of Health Research’s (NIHR) Senior Investigators in the Institute’s annual competition.
Congratulations to the following:
Emeritus NIHR Investigator
- Professor Gareth Evans, Division of Evolution and Genomic Sciences
NIHR Senior Investigators
- Professor Ian Bruce, Division of Musculoskeletal and Dermatological Sciences, who has been reappointed for a second term.
- Professor Jonathan Green, Division of Neuroscience and Experimental Psychology
- Professor Dame Tina Lavender, Division of Nursing, Midwifery and Social Work
- Professor Alison Yung, Division of Psychology and Mental Health
- Professor Iain Buchan, formerly Division Informatics, Imaging & Data Sciences
Professor Green commented: "It is an honour to be appointed as an NIHR Senior Investigator. I understand I am the first Senior Investigator to be appointed within the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital and so it will give me real pleasure to use the role to promote the profile of clinical research in child health and particularly mental health within the Trust.
"The appointment is a credit to my research group in the University and the Trust; we are keen to contribute to the next BRC renewal and I hope my appointment will aid that. Nationally, within this role it will be good to contribute to the quality and profile of intervention science and clinical trials in child mental health, and to provide policy advice when appropriate to government in an important and high profile area."
The Senior Investigators annual competition is overseen by an international panel of experts. As members of the NIHR's College of Senior Investigators, they provide visible leadership within the NIHR and are a key source of advice to the Department of Health's Chief Scientific Adviser.